Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tips on How to Cook Grass-fed Meat from Slow Food Gainesville

A note from Anna Prizzia of Slow Food Gainesville:

Some of you who were a part of the recent cow pool, and others that
have purchased grass-fed meat in the past have asked me if there are
tricks to cooking this meat to bring out its full character and
flavor...the answer is YES! Grass-fed meat is quite different from
it's grain-fed cousin. It is leaner and denser, and therefore cannot
take the high heats and rough handling that we have learned as
standard for industrial meat. In fact, for a while I thought I could
not eat meat because one alternative was a meat that did not meet my
philosophical beliefs and one would not satisfy my palate. Luckily, I
learned that with a few simple tricks, I could have my steak and eat
it too...

I highly recommend Shannon Hayes books, especially the Farmer and the
Grill. She has studied the art of cooking grass-fed meat and has lots
of great tips and info. Her website is www.grassfedcooking.com.

Perhaps the most important thing to remember is this- for reliably
sourced grass-fed meat, ideal internal temperatures (get a meat
thermometer, its worth it!) are lower than many of the USDA
recommended temperatures for meat....Shannon's recommendations based
on her research are (Fahrenheit):
Beef/Bison- 120-140
Ground meat- 160
Veal- 125-155
Lamb and Goat- 120-145
Pork- 145-160
Chicken (unstuffed)- 165
Turkey (unstuffed)- 165

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Blog Archive