Monday, May 28, 2012

MY UNCLE JED'S TUNA CASSEROLE

My old friend, John Dawson, had the initials JED. Last night, waiting for the advance of tropical storm Beryl,  I was in the mood to have this comfort dish. I recalled it was one of first dishes I learned how to prepare in the 70's. I remember John dictating the recipe to me while we were crossing Paynes Prairie on the commute back to Gainesville from Ocala where both of us worked as paralegals. 


The version I cooked last night is both named for John (JED) and a song by Happy and Artie Traum, "My Uncle Jed" that was popular around our college campus dorm.

Thanks John for providing me with the beginnings of this. Back then, to have something palatable for the table was an act of survival. Last night, it was comfort food par excellence. We remembered and toasted my old friend!


MY UNCLE JED’S TUNA CASSEROLE

Ingredients:

Whole wheat flat noodles, 12 ounce bag
Salt
Cream of shrimp/seafood can of soup
Cream of mushroom can of soup, low sodium/fat if possible
Rotel Original, drained
Artichoke hearts, drained
Large olives, one can drained. Slice or chop.
Season with black pepper and a pinch of Cajun Seasoning
Olive oil
Sharp cheddar cheese

Prepare pasta according to package directions in robustly salted water.
Mix remaining five ingredients in large bowl. Add pasta and combine.
Place in large casserole dish sprayed with Pam.
Drizzle with olive oil. Cover with grated cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees until brown.  Remove and let it rest for 2-4 minutes. Serve.

No comments: